The Joshua Tree National Park Association seeks a part time office assistant (24 hours) to perform a variety of administrative/program support functions to support the office. Duties include clerical support to retail, membership, office and the Desert Institute.
The ideal candidate will possess a working knowledge of Word, Excel and Access. Filemaker Pro experience a plus. Must have effective interpersonal communication skills; ability to operate multiline telephone system, calculator/credit card terminal, postage meter and computer;
The pay rate is $9.00 per hour. Possibility for extra hours now and full time in the future. See full job description at www. joshuatree.org
Email resume’s to: email@example.com by May 29th
Position Title: JTNPA Assistant
Reports to: Managing Director
FLSA Status: non-exempt hourly
Schedule: part time, schedule varies (20 hours per week)
Salary/Pay Range: $9 per hour
Performs a variety of administrative/program support functions under the direction of the Managing Director, JTNPA
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Processes new and renewing memberships received via mail or website. Processes payments and reconciles with bookkeeper. Prints and mails membership cards.
- Enters member data into membership database
- Prepares and mail membership renewal notices during the last week of each month
- Distributes JTNP publications to business members
- Answers the telephone and directs calls as appropriate
- Checks email and voice mail and transfers messages as appropriate.
- Processes in-house and bulk mailings for membership, Desert Institute and Association events as directed
- Maintains records for special events, e.g. registrations, raffle ticket sales, etc.
- Prepares materials to support special events: e.g. packaging promotional materials, preparing name tags, etc.
- Maintains membership files, may assist Office Manager with general filing.
- Assists with processing Visitor Center credit card sales
- Assists Inventory Manager with inventory count, pricing and packaging of merchandise, etc. as required
- Assists public with sales/information in Visitor Centers as required
- Data entry for Desert Institute registration
- Mails class registrations and/or email class confirmations on day received
- Keeps student and membership packets on hand in quantities directed.
- Keeps maps on hand for student registration packets in quantities directed
- Distributes DI catalogs as directed
- Prepares envelopes for mailing, volunteer class notes, instructor thanks and payment, etc. as directed
- Creates class lists and posts at Visitor Centers and Entrance Stations as directed
- Emails chiefs weekly with classes in the park as directed
- Emails NPS staff with campground reservations and follow up with participants as required.
- Maintains in-house credit book/list, and mails in-house credit confirmations and reminders at the beginning of each season.
Supervisory responsibilities: none
To perform successfully in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Skills and Abilities
Effective interpersonal communication skills
Working knowledge of email, word processing, database and spreadsheet software.
Ability to operate multiline telephone system, calculator/credit card terminal, postage meter and computer.
Education and/or Experience
High School diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from NPS personnel and the general public. Ability to compose routine correspondence and/or review correspondence for typographical errors.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rates, ratios and percentages.
Must possess a current California State Driver’s License
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, talk and hear. The employee is required to spend prolonged periods of time working at a computer station. The employee is required to walk and to reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required in this position include depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those encountered by an employee while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is generally performed in an office environment, usually under normal office temperatures. Occasionally higher than normal temperatures will be experienced. Noise levels in the work environment are usually moderate. Some driving/delivery may be required, conditions will be determined by vehicle used.